How to find intersection of two column lists in Excel?
As below screenshot, how do you find the intersection of two lists in Excel? In other words, how to find duplicate values in two columns? This article provides two methods to help you achieving it.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
The below formula can help you find intersection of two lists in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank column, copy formula =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(B2,$C$2:$C$9,0)),"",B2) into the Formula Bar and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
Note: In the formula, B2 is the first cell of the first list, $C$2:$C$9 is the range of the second list. Please change them based on your need.
2. Now the first intersection is finding out, please select it and then drag the Fill Handle down to get all. See screenshot:
If you don’t want to apply formula, here we recommend you the Select Same & Different Cells utility of Kutools for Excel to easily find all intersections of two lists in Excel.
1. Click Kutools > Select > Select Same & Different Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Same & Different Cells dialog box, you need to:
2.1 Select the first list and the second list without headers separately in the Find values in and the According to boxes;
2.2 Select the Each row option in the Based on section;
2.3 Choose Same values in the Find section;
2.4 Specify a background color or font color in the Processing of results section to highlight the intersections as you need;
2.5 Click the OK button. See screenshot:
3. Then a dialog box pops up to tell you how many cells have been selected, please click the OK button. And you can see all intersections are selected and highlight in the first list as below screenshot:
- How to find and replace all blank cells with certain number or text in Excel?
- How to replace commas with newlines (Alt + Enter) in cells in Excel?
- How to create a macro code to achieve find and replace text in Excel?
- How to find and replace sheet tab names in Excel?
- How to find value in a cell with comma separated list in Excel?