How to limit number of rows and columns in a worksheet in Excel?
When sharing a range of worksheet with others, you may want to prevent others from viewing other rows and columns. Here I will introduce some tricky ways to limit number of rows and column in a worksheet in Excel easily.
Limit number of rows and columns with disabling scrolling in Excel
In Excel, users can set scrolling area to prevent from scrolling to other rows and columns.
Step 1: Right click the worksheet name in the Sheet tab bar, and then select the View Code from the right-clicking menu.
Step 2: Now you get into the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, you need to open the Properties Window with clicking View > Properties Window.
Note: If the Properties window has been opened already, just skip this step.
Step 3: In the Properties window, find out the ScrollArea in the left bar, and then in the following box enter the range you want to share with others.
Step 4: Close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
Then you will see both vertical scroll bar and horizontal scroll bar are freeze, and you cannot scroll to other rows and columns in current worksheet.
One click to hide everything but selected range (hide unused column/rows/cells)
Most of time, we may only use part of worksheet with numeric blank cells/range left. Kutools for Excel’s Set Scroll Area utility can help you one click to hide everything except selected range, or hide all unused cells/rows/column/ranges easily. Full Feature Free Trial 30-day!
Limit number of rows and columns with hiding rows and columns
Apart from setting scrolling area, we can also limit number of rows and columns by hiding unshared rows and columns in Excel.
Step 1: Besides the shared range, you need to select the left ranges and hide them. Select the first column right to the shared range, and then press the Ctrl + Shift + Rightward arrow keys simultaneously to select all right columns.
Step 2: Right click selected columns, and select the Hide from right-clicking menu.
Step 3: Select the first row below shared range, press the Ctrl + Shift + Downward arrow keys at the same time to select all rows below shared range, and then hide them.
Step 4: Select the first row up shared range, press Ctrl+ Shift + Up arrow simultaneously to select all rows up shared range, and then hide them.
Step 5: Select the first column left to shared range, press Ctrl + Shift+ Leftward arrow simultaneously to select all columns left to shared range, and then hide them.
Then you will see all rows and columns are hidden except shared range in the worksheet.
Limit number of rows and column with KTE's Set Scroll Area utility
The hotkeys seem not easy for many Excel users. Do not worry about it, you can try Kutools for Excel's Set Scroll Area utility, which helps you hide all rows and columns except shared range with only one click in Excel.
Kutools for Excel - Includes more than 300 handy tools for Excel. Full feature free trial 30-day, no credit card required! Get It Now
Select the shared range you want to share with others, and click the Kutools > Show / Hide > Set Scroll Area.
Then you will see all rows and columns are hidden except shared range in the worksheet immediately.
Set Scroll Area is one of Kutools for Excel utility, which is designed to one click to hide all unselected rows and columns in active worksheet easily. Click for 30-day free trial, no limitation!
Demo: Limit number of rows and column with only one click
Kutools for Excel
includes more than 300 handy tools for Excel, free to try without limitation in 30 days. Download and Free Trial Now
Toggle to show/hide columns: one click to show all hidden columns, and one click to restore hidden columns
Kutools for Excel's (Show) Columns utility is a good toggle to show all hidden columns with only one click, and click this Column button for the second time will make these columns hidden again. Full Feature Free Trial 30-day!
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!