How to count cells with specific text in selection in Excel?
If you want to count number of cells which contain specific texts in Excel, the formula of CountIf function can easily help you. In this article, we will show you how to count number of cells with specific text in details.
1. Count the number of cells with specific text
With the formula of the CountIf function, you can easily count cells with specific text as follows.
As below screenshot shows, we are now going to count cells with the text “Linda” in the cell range A2:A10.
Select a blank cell for displaying the result. Then copy and paste the formula =COUNTIF($A$2:$A$10,"Linda") into the Formula Bar, and press the Enter key on the keyboard.
Then you will see the result displaying in the selected cell.
Besides, you can use a cell reference instead of a certain text in the formula. Please change the text to the specific cell you use as reference: =COUNTIF($A$2:$A$10, A5).
2. Count the number of cells contain a specific text
Sometimes, you want to count the cell numbers that contain specific text, for example, I want to count the number of cells which contain Linda as above screenshot shown. In this case, the wildcard * may help you, this * wildcard will match any number of characters. Please do as follows:
To get the number of cells which contain the text Linda, please apply this formula: =COUNTIF($A$2:$A$10, "*Linda*"), and then press Enter key, and all the cells which contain your specific text will be counted. See screenshot:
Also, you can use cell reference in the formula instead the specified text, please use this formula: =COUNTIF(A2:A10,"*"&A5&"*") as following screenshot shown:
Note: You need to change the cell range and text for your own needs.
Besides using formula to count the cells with text, you can use the Select Specific Cells utility to quickly count and select the cells with specific text in Excel.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. After installing Kutools for Excel, please click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells.
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, select the cell range in the Select cells in this range section, choose Cell option in the Selection type section:
(1). To count the cells with the specific text Linda, please specify Equals and Linda in the Specific type section. See screenshot below:
(2). If you want to count the number of cells which contain a specific text, please specify Contains and Linda in the Specific type section.
3. And then click OK, and a Select Specific Cells dialog box pops up to show you the total cells you want. Please click the OK button.
Then all cells with Linda inside in the selected range are selected automatically.
- How to count cell numbers between two values or dates in Excel?
- How to count number of cells with text or number in Excel?
- How to count number or “Yes” or “No” answer in Excel?
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoWie klappt das Beispiel "* Linda *" bei Google Tabellen ("Sheets")? =countif(A1:A2;"*Linda*") liefert einen Error. Danke!