John I Red
John I Blue
John I Yellow
Joe I Red
Joe I Blue
Joe I Yellow
and turn it into
John I Red
Joe I Red
Can you help on just keeping the first duplicate in a single cell only?
Kutools for Excel is a powerful add-in that frees you from performing time-consuming operations in Excel, such as combine sheets quickly, merge cells without losing data, paste to only visible cells, count cells by color and so on. 300+ powerful features / functions for Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 or Office 365!
It enables tabbed browsing, editing, and managing of Microsoft Office applications. You can open multiple documents / files in a single tabbed window, such as using the browser IE 8/9/10, Firefox, and Google Chrome. It's compatible with Office 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 or Office 365. Demo
Kutools for Outlook is a powerful add-in that frees you from time-consuming operations which majority of Outlook users has to perform daily! It can save your time from using Microsoft Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010 or Office 365!
Kutools for Word is a powerful add-in that frees you from time-consuming operations which majority of Word users have to perform daily! It can save your time from using Microsoft Word / Office 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003 or Office 365!
Restores the old look and menus of Office 2003 to Microsoft Office 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 or Office 365. Don’t lose time in finding commands on the new Ribbon. Easy to deploy to all computers in enterprises and organizations.
Let’s say, there is a list of values in your worksheet which contains some duplicates, now, you need to remove the duplicates but keep the first row where the duplicated value is found. In this article, we will show you two methods of removing duplicates but keep first instance in Excel.
You can run the below VBA code to remove duplicates but keep first instance in a column.
1. Press Alt + F11 to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications dialog box.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications dialog box, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the below code into the code window.
VBA code: remove duplicates but keep first instance
Sub TrimExcessSpaces() Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range Dim dic As Variant Set dic = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary") On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type: = 8) Set WorkRng = WorkRng.Columns(1) For Each Rng In WorkRng.Cells dic(Rng.Value) = "" Next WorkRng.ClearContents WorkRng.Range("A1").Resize(UBound(dic.Keys) + 1, 1) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(dic.Keys) End Sub
3. Press F5 key to run the code. In the popping up KutoolsforExcel dialog box, select the range you want to remove duplicates, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now you can see all duplicate rows except the first records are removed from the selected column range. See screenshot:
Beside the VBA code, you can use the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility of Kutools for Excel add-in to easily remove duplicates but keep the first instances in Excel.
1. Select the range you want to remove duplicates but keep first instances. Then click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, select the Duplicates (Except 1st one) option, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
3. In the following Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, click OK.
4. Now the duplicates are selected except the first instances, please press the Delete key to remove the selected duplicates.
Note: If you want to delete the duplicate rows, you just need to check Select entire rows option in the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, and then apply the Delete command of the right click menu to remove the entire duplicate rows.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!