How to sum cells if the corresponding string is in a certain length?
In Excel, we usually sum cells by some criteria, but have you ever tried to sum cells if their corresponding strings are in a certain length? For example, here are two lists in column A and column B, column A contains strings, and column B contains numbers, how can you sum the numbers in column B when the strings in column A are in 5-character length?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
To sum values by the string length in another column, you can apply a formula.
Select a cell that you want to put the summing result at, type this formula =SUMPRODUCT((LEN(A2:A17)=5)*B2:B17), press Enter key to get the result. See screenshot:
In the formula, A2:A17 is the strings column you check if is in a specific string length, B2:B17 is the column you want to sum up values, 5 indicates 5-character length. You can change them as you need.
In some cases, you may want to sort data based on the string length which cannot be directly solved in Excel. However, if you have Kutools for Excel – a handy and powerful Excel add in, with its Advanced Sort feature, you can quickly sort data by the string length.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the data range you want to sort, and click Enterprise > Advanced Sort. See screenshot:
2. In the Advanced Sort dialog, select the column you want to sort, and then specified Text length as the sorting rule, and then select the sorting order, check My data has headers if there are headers in the selection. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok. Now the data has been sorted by string length. See screenshot: