Count cells that do not contain specific text in Excel
You can use the COUNTIF function with a wildcard to count the number of cells that contain specific text in a range. On the contrary, it is also easy to use the COUNTIF function to count cells that do not contain specific text. This tutorial provides detailed steps to help solving the problem.
How to count cells that do not contain specific text in Excel?
As the below screenshot shown, to separately count the number of cells in range B3:B11 without the certain text “count” and “blank”, you can do as follows.
Range (required): The range from which you want to count cells without certain text;
Txt (required): The text or text string you want to exclude when counting cells.
How to use this formula?
1. Select a blank cell to place the result (in this case I select E3).
2. Enter the below formula into it and press the Enter key to get the result.
Tips: For counting cells without the certain text “blank”, please replace the text “count” with “blank” in the formula.
How these formulas work?
- The COUNTIF function is used to count the number of cells that meet a criterion.
- In this case, "<>*count*" provided as the criteria means that “values that do not contain ‘count’ in any position”.
- The wildcard character “*” is used as a criterion to match any number of characters.
1) If you have already entered the criteria texts into cells, you can directly include the cell reference in the formula, and use the AutoFill Handle to get the other results:
=COUNTIF($B$3:$B$11,"<>*" & D3 & "*")
2) If there are blank cells in the range, they will be counted as well. For ignoring the blank cells, you can apply the following formula.
Excel COUNTIF function
The Excel COUNTIF function is a statistical function in Excel which is used to count the number of cells that meet a criterion.
Excel COUNTIFS function
The Excel COUNTIFS function returns the number of cells that meet one single criterion or multiple criteria.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings 300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save 80% time for you.
- Designed for 1500 work scenarios, helps you solve 80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
- 30-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by 50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.