Sum every n rows or columns in a range in Excel
This tutorial explains two formulas based on the SUM and OFFSET functions to sum every n rows or columns in a specified range in Excel.
How to sum every n rows or columns in a given rang in Excel?
To sum every 3 rows in range E5:E14 as shown in the screenshot below, you can try the below formula.
A1: Represents the first cell of the range you will sum;
N: It is a number that represents every n rows.
How to use this formula?
1. Select a blank cell to output the first result.
2. Copy or enter the below formula into it and press the Enter key. Select the result cell, drag its AutoFill Handle down to get the other results.
1) In the formula, G6 is the cell where the formula sits.
2) To sum every n columns as shown on the screenshot below, please try this formula:
Explanation of the formula
OFFSET($E$5,(ROW()-ROW($G$6))*3,0,3,1): Here use the OFFSET function to return a range of reference from the starting row of the return range. OFFSET($E$5,0,0,3,1).
SUM(OFFSET($E$5,0,0,3,1)): The number 3 indicates 3 rows need to be summed starting from E5, then the SUM function sums values in E5:E7 and returns 5726.
Excel SUM function
The Excel SUM function adds values.
Excel OFFSET function
The Excel OFFSET function returns a reference to a cell or a range of cells that is offset from a specific cell by a given number of rows and columns.
Excel ROW function
The Excel ROW function returns the row number of a reference.
Excel COLUMNS function
The Excel COLUMNS function returns the total number of columns in a given array or reference.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings
300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save
80% time for you.
- Designed for
1500 work scenarios, helps you solve
80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
30-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by
50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.